Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Calm and Cool


Refreshing Mint
I've been seeing a lot of fresh mint lately - for sale in the produce section, growing in my grandfather's Amazon of a back porch, growing near my house (and in a delicious ginger mojito my pal Rachel concocted 4th of July weekend!) - it's everywhere. You can always tell when mint is growing nearby; the refreshing scent lingers in the air. I remember as a kid spending summers at my grandparents' pool, I could always smell it from several feet away on my lounge chair. If you can't grow your own, a take advantage of your local farmer's market and snoop around for some fresh mint.

Mint has very cooling properties - perfect for the hazy, hot and humid days of August. Other benefits of mint include:

- calms a nervous stomach
- reduces headaches
- helps relieve coughs and congestion
- freshens breath and kills germs
- eases discomfort experienced with digestive issues
- lightens an otherwise heavy meal
- aids in the assimilation of nutrients in the blood

I have been picking it up and making my favorite refreshing summer drink - Moroccan Mint Tea. Treat yourself to mint's cooling effect by throwing it into a crisp salad, sprinkling it on top of fresh peas or beans, or make my favorite homemade tea.


Moroccan Mint Tea
Ingredients
10 fresh mint sprigs, plus 4 for garnish
3 green tea bags
3 tablespoons honey
4 cups water

Boil water. Pour a small amount in teapot and swish around to warm the pot. Combine the mint and green tea and honey in the teapot, then fill it with the rest of the hot water. Let tea brew, stirring the leaves once or twice, and let it cool. Pour tea into glasses to serve. If you're like my mom and cannot possibly drink anything without an iceberg in it, feel free to toss a few (or 12) cubes in it too. Garnish with remaining 4 sprigs of mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment